This classic pair of pastorals from noted artist Contardo Barbieri (1900-1966) is a very rare, larger than normal, pair of companion paintings from the artist's very early years, before he became professor of art at the Academy of Milan in 1928. Contardo Barbieri was born in Pavia in 1900 graduated from the Academy of Brera in 1921. Barbieri began to focus on landscape in the early 1920s, as attested by these works titled “View of Pavia with Washerwomen” -circa 1920.(These paintings until recently have been part of a private collection) He eventually became known as bringing modernity to the Lombard figurative arts, which makes this pair of early works even more rare, especially since they have survived in their impeccable hand-carved wood frames. Pavia Barbieri’s hometown featured in these works is distinguished by more fluid brushwork, greater attention to natural detail, and a rich prospective and depth, beautiful range of colors in the registers of green and blue.
Without abandoning his realist style of painting, during the 1920s, he developed a more solid and synthetic rendering of form, influenced by the contemporary researches of the Novecento Italiano group, which he joined after the first Milan exhibition in 1926. After his debut in the Esposizione Nazionale d’Arte, held at the Palazzo della Permanente in Milan in 1927, he began to exhibit regularly from 1928 onwards in the Venice Biennale and all the principal, official exhibitions in Italy and abroad. He gained extensive recognition through his vast repertoire of portraits, female figures and still lifes as well as his notable production of landscapes, in which he combines the severe language of the 20th century with studies from life. In 1929 he was appointed Professor of Painting at the Carrara Academy in Bergamo. In the years that followed he was awarded numerous awards and prizes. Between 1933 & 1944 he participated in numerous exhibitions, also his second appearance at the Venice Biennale. After the war, Barbieri taught at the Higher Institute of Art at the Castle of Milan. After being appointed director of the Carrara Academy in Bergamo in 1931, he played a pivotal role in the cultural renewal of the city and he executed a mural for the Casa Littoria "A. Locatelli" in 1938, which was later destroyed. He died in Milan in 1966.
For more additional info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contardo_Barbier
Sold as a pair.
Each measures overall 34H x 40W; canvas 26H x 30.5W.